VA Certified Home in Shelby County

Who's eligible for V.A. long-term care benefits?

The V.A. provides nursing home and other long-term care -- the V.A. calls it "extended care" -- for many veterans. Those eligible for V.A. nursing homes or long-term care include:

  • Veterans with a service-connected disability rating (or combined disability ratings) of 70 percent or higher.
  • Veterans with a 60-percent service-connected disability rating who are unemployable, or who have a rating of "permanent and totally disabled."
  • Veterans with a service-connected disability that's clinically determined to require nursing home care.
  • Veterans who require nursing home care for any non service-connected disability and who meet income and asset criteria.
  • Other veterans on a case-by-case basis, with priority given to veterans with service-connected disabilities and those who need care for post-acute rehabilitation, respite, hospice, geriatric evaluation and management, or spinal cord injury.

More detailed information about eligibility for our nursing home and other care V.A. programs reach out to a VA social worker at 1- (800)-827-1000. For a tour with our Admissions Director, Beth (712) 764-4201 ext 228. Fill out a VA application Department of Veterans Affairs - If you are a Veteran already recievig compensation or VA medical treatment for a service-connected disability, you do not need to fill a separate application. Make sure when you fill out the application that you have this information ready:

  • Spouse's name, date of birth, and Social Security number
  • The current income of both the veteran and the veteran's spouse
  • The value of fixed and liquid assets of both veteran and spouse (only if applying for nursing home or other residential care)
  • Information identifying all health insurance, including all parts of Medicare (a copy of an insurance card and the veteran's Medicare card)

Our VA Certified home is located in Elk Horn, IA of Shelby County.

Add comment